Head over to GetMiro and download the Public Preview 1 (v. 0.9.8) release.
Miro is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and pre-packaged for a number of Linux distros (Fedora, Ubuntu, with Debian and Gentoo coming soon) as well as source code for the true DIY.
Miro lets you:
- Play virtually any video file, across different platforms
- Download and play full screen, high definition video
- Subscribe to video podcasts, video blogs, any rss feed with enclosures
- Locate new video content using the Miro channel guide
- Download videos from YouTube, DailyMotion, Google Video and others
- Download BitTorrent videos and watch them in the same application
Miro’s based on the Mozilla XULRunner framework, and is an excellent example of cross-platform, non-proprietary alternative approach to taking Internet-based applications beyond the browser context, without losing the open, standards based approach that made the web successful in the first place.