Going Droid

Survey from ChangeWave Research: click through for details

(via MediaPost)

I’ve been thinking that when my current contract is up this holiday season I would move to an Android-based phone. I’ve loved some things about my iPhone – it has essentially sold me on the utility of touch-based interfaces – but other things about it drive me batty, and the constant upgrade-jailbreak-restore dance just isn’t worth the trouble.

Apparently I’m not alone. According to this survey from Change Wave:

Among consumers planning to buy a smartphone in the next 90 days, 37% say they prefer to have the Android OS on their new phone — a 7-pt jump since our previous survey and a new all-time high for the Google operating system.

Add this to the data from earlier this week that developers are betting on Android as an OS:

What’s different is that percentage of developers who consider Android’s long-term prospects to be brighter than those of iOS has increased by about 10% in the past three months. In June 2010, 54% of developers said Android had the best long-term outlook, compared to 40.4% who believed iOS would do better over time. In September, 2010, 58.6% of developers saw a better future in Android, compared to 34.9% who rated iOS’s potential superior.

Of course folks have been predicting “the death of Apple” as long as the company’s been around – I’m sure they’ll do just fine without me. But it does feel like the ground is quietly shifting a bit.

Did you like this? Share it:
10 Comments. Leave a comment or send a Trackback.
  1. #1 • doki_pen said on October 1 2010:

I’m not sure if switching to Android will solve your jailbreak issues. I’m on Verizon Incredible and each time there is an update, I have to research and figure out how to not lose root. In the end, I’ve switched to a 3rd party ROM to simplify things, but that gives me an uneasy feeling. Who knows what is on a ROM. I can only assume by it’s popularity that there is nothing nasty, but I don’t know for sure. So far, the only solution for a truly free smartphone is the Nexus One, which is discontinued.

2. #2 • John said on October 1 2010:

Good point.

Does Android allow you to put music on and off the device as though it were just another usb/mounted volume?

I listen to lots of podcasts and hate hate hate the way one is required to move music on and off the iPhone through iTunes. (As an old Archos Jukebox user I still want direct file access to tunes).

3. #3 • doki_pen said on October 1 2010:

Yes. Also, Amazon MP3 is awesome. You can purchase there and copy OFF of the device like a USB. (or just mount and play)

4. #4 • Sal Darji said on October 1 2010:

I just ordered the Samsung Vibrant from T-Mobile. I’ve been a BlackBerry user for the last 5 years.

There are a bunch of new Android phones coming out that have better hardware than the iPhone. However, there are a ton of compromises you make when you buy hardware that has to run on someone’s network. For example, I know there will be application icons that are perma-glued to the home page.

You also compromise with the hardware manufacturer. From what I understand, Samsung has a UI skin that detracts from the beauty of the original Android UI. However, removing the skin could brick your device.

I made a promise to myself that I am not going to fiddle with my phone. It just isn’t worth the time or effort! I think the iPhone is a great phone, and if you can convince yourself to not hack it, you may just want to stick with it.

5. #5 • John said on October 1 2010:

My iPhone 3G hasn’t been exactly a great phone – it’s been a nice portable internet device, but I’ve always had dropped calls intermittently, and not the greatest battery life.

More recently, my 3G has decided to stop connecting to wifi – at all, anywhere. Haven’t had the time or energy to go visit a genius bar and get it looked at but going back from 4.x to 3.x and doing a full restore of the iOS didn’t do it. (And I know it isn’t a security/key/wireless settings problem – tried too many wide open public networks that once worked).

Not trying to knock the phone, but it certainly hasn’t been perfect.

6. #6 • John said on October 1 2010:

Of course, in that same survey, customer satisfaction for iPhones was at 74%, and for Android devices just 65% – so I guess I shouldn’t leap too quickly.

7. #7 • Sal Darji said on October 1 2010:

My Blackberry keyboard is dying. Also, I have heard that slide-out keyboards can fail. So I have decided to go without the physical keyboard and will use Swype.

Look for my review of the Samsung Vibrant, if Amazon ever gets around to shipping it.

8. #8 • Eric said on October 2 2010:

Love my iPhone 4, John!

9. #9 • Michael said on October 4 2010:

Nothing about Symbian? I agree it’s dying, like Plam but it still has some marketshare.Ans a SE user is a little bit similar to a iPhone user: both love their phone experience.

10. #10 • John said on October 5 2010:

I do like the Nokia E series phones with qwerty keyboards which run Symbian, but I just don’t know that it is competitive these days with Android and iOS in terms of innovative new development.

I will be sure to try all three before making a decision come December.